Wednesday, April 04, 2007

American Idol Review 6

Tony Bennett night! I never love the "good, old standards" night, but I kind of liked this one.

I think on the whole most of the contestants picked the right songs, but I still have much to say!

Let's begin with the ones that did well. I think that Melinda, LaKisha, Jordin, and Gina did well. Blake, Chris, Phil, Haley did OK & Sanjaya did horribly as usual.

I agree with Simon that Melinda really can't be criticized. She picked a good song & delivered it well. LaKisha picked a good song, but as Leah & I discussed today, she didn't really listen to Tony Bennett when he said to end on the big note. I really like Jordin's control. It is still hard to believe she's 17. Gina's softer side was refreshing. She looked great & I thought she also had great control.

Now, I really like Blake & I think he'll go far, but I don't think he has the quality of voice required of an AI. Great song choice for him, but I didn't really feel a connection. I didn't think Chris did as well as the judges thought he did. I couldn't really get into it. I totally agreed with Simon that "Night & Day" sounded kind of gloomy. I don't think Phil did horribly, but it wasn't great. I did also agree with Paula on the Frank Sinatra comment. There were parts of the song that definitely had some Sinatra similarities. I actually wrote that down during the performance!
This is the perfect week for Haley. These songs fit her voice perfectly, yet she also disregarded Tony Bennett's advice. She didn't make those notes short. She just did her "Broadway Show" thing. I still get that arrogant vibe from her. If she won, what ever would she record? Show tunes????

Sanjaya gets his own paragraph! He was awful. Unfortunately, he probably won't go home tonight again. His hair was better than last week, but the white leisure suit??????? He is obviously aware of how he is staying on the show (how could he not???). So much so that he actually said, "I am going to really show America that I can sing." His performance sounded like a high school performance, but worse. It was so bad the judges didn't even have any vocal comments/advice.

We'll see what happens tonight. I have a feeling that it will be Phil or Haley. It most likely won't be Sanjaya, as much as it should be!!!

Karen....out! :) (Gosh, that's so last season!)

No comments: