Tuesday, March 13, 2007

American Idol Review 3

OK, the theme for the night should have been "Forgotton Lyrics and Crazy Arrangements."
I think a subtheme for the night could be Randy's comment, "I don't think it's your best, but it was ok." It was something like that with some other comment about how it didn't sound like her songs. I can't quite remember how he put it. Newsflash, none of these songs should be sung by anyone but Diana Ross (with the exception of Melinda & LaKisha). She's pretty distinctive & no one is going to sound like her.

Where do I start? Good news or bad news? We'll go with the bad news first.

What is up with Brandon? He's a good singer. I think the nerves got to him.
Chris Sligh...I really like him, so I cringed at the syncopated "Endless Love." Hats off to him for trying to do something different with it, although I wrote down that it sounded like Coldplay. I think Randy said the same thing.
Sanjaya just doesn't have it & it is a crime that Sundance didn't have his spot this week. I'm still in mourning over that. I'm not taking my black armband off until Sanjaya goes. :)
Haley did better this week, but still was off-key & we know she forgot words. Simon must have felt badly for her, those comments were so out of character for him.
Blake...I really like him too. Totally agree with Randy, not enough vocals.
Chris R. sounded nervous, but not bad.

Good news next...
Melinda was wonderful as usual. (As I was watching, I jotted in my trusty notebook, "Sounds like Gladys Knight." Simon said the same thing. I still say they need a fourth regular judge....)
Gina chose a good song. I liked it, so I disagree with Randy. She's really strong & I like her attitude.
Phil did better this week. I thought he chose a good song.
LaKisha....WOW. She had awesome control (also written in my notebook before any judges said anything). For those Idol Junkies, you may remember Mikayla Gordon sang the same song during her season. She did an awesome job, I thought. I think that's the song that went on the Idols' soundtrack.
Stephanie...It's hard to believe she's only 19. I thought she had a very "Beyonce" sound tonight. I really like her. I thought it was a good song choice & she was strong. I agree with the judges on waiting for the more up tempo part of the song.
Jordin is amazing for 17. I thought the song sounded a little too "movie soundtrack", but she was still very strong. I think Simon said it sounded, "Gooey."

So, prediction....I think only one goes home now. Is that right? I think it's got to be Sanjaya or Brandon. We'll see.


On another note...has anyone ever heard the word "pronunciate"? Just checking. Get Ms. Ross a dictionary!!!

No comments: