Wednesday, March 28, 2007

American Idol Review 5

We're into the top 10! Gwen Stefani proved to be a tough vocal coach. She certainly didn't sugar coat anything!

I was lucky enough to view Idol with a few friends last night, which always gives some extra insight to the contestants' performances.

The people I thought that did well last night were LaKisha, Gina, Phil, Melinda, Blake, and Chris R.

LaKisha and Melinda can definitely tackle Donna Summer songs and make them their own while doing a great job. I really think it's all going to come down to them. Gina was awesome. Great song choice! She definitely listens to the constructive criticism given. I really like that about her. Phil chose the right song & really made it sound great. I liked Blake's version of "Love Song" & I'm glad he showed off his voice & didn't beat box. I agree with Leah, that it could have been a little more up tempo. Chris R. really did a great job with "Don't Speak", I thought. I was worried at first, but I liked the more R&B feeling of the song.

Jordin was just OK for me last night, although the judges loved her. I guess it sounds different in the theater.

Sanjaya was horrible as usual. Don't even get me started on what Matt Lauer called a "fauxhawk". One clue for Sanjaya, if you're going to sing the guest vocal coach's song, you better know the words!!!! When he sang "Bathwater" it was completely unrecognizable to me. I'm sure Gwen was cringing every second of the performance. I swear, if Sanjaya does not go home tonight, I may have to stop watching. (We all know that won't happen.)

Haley just needs to try out for season 2 of "Grease: You're the One that We Want"! She took Cyndi Lauper's "True Colors" and turned it into a Broadway ballad. It's not that she didn't sing well, she just is so forgettable & is not a pop star, if I'm being honest. (Read that last part with a British accent. :) )


Chris, Chris, Chris....I really like Chris Sligh, but he just took on a song that was too difficult for him. It's so rhythmic & syncopated that less than a week's worth of practicing probably wouldn't do it. I hate that because I really like him. I guess they all have their bad moments. Let's hope it isn't his last night.


Two other things...

One, why do they have to end most of the songs with a "Love Boat" arrangement. I can't describe it any other way, but that. They all seem to end the same way & I hate it.

Two, has anyone heard or gotten Elliot Yamin's album? It's great!! Get it!!

Check back after results!!

No comments: